Friday, August 30, 2013

Blog #1

1. I decided to go to college because there really was never another option for me. I know that college isn't for everyone, but it was always clear that I was going to attend college due to how much I loved school. I've always been interested in pursuing a higher education, although my interests have changed throughout the years. 2.When I began my college process, I had my heart set on the University of Texas at Austin. I was raised as a die hard Longhorn fan, and when I began to do research about the school, I learned that they are very competitive academically. I loved the campus, I loved the atmosphere, and I could not wait to be a student there. I wasn't seriously considering any other college options, but my voice teacher insisted that I apply to Converse. She told me that it was a small women's college in South Carolina, and I thought she was out of her mind. I had zero interest in coming here, but there was no application fee and I didn't have to write an extra essay, so I decided to apply to humor her. Throughout the application process, I realized just how wonderful it is here. I was opposed to the idea of a small college- until I realized that it meant I would get more help from my professors and I could actually have a relationship with them. I was opposed to the idea of a women's college- until I realized that I could go to class in sweat pants and not worry about running into any attractive men. With these appealing things along with how great the admissions counselors were, I was sold. When I came out here for my audition, I fell in love with the campus and refused to audition anywhere else because I knew that this was where I needed to go and where I needed to be. I decided to come to Converse because once I got here, I realized there was no other option for me. 3. I have always had a passion for music. I've been singing ever since I could talk, and I've never been able to consider a life without music. However, when I was younger, I did not seriously consider a career in music because I was convinced that there wasn't great job opportunity in the musical field. So I focused on biology and decided I would pursue a career in the scientific field. During my junior year of high school, I participated in the Classical Singers Competition, and the first round of the competition was held at the Texas Christian University, in one of their auditoriums. I know it sounds cliche, but while I was on stage, it became abundantly clear to me that there really was no other option for me than to sing. I talked a lot with my voice teacher and discovered that there are available jobs for musicians and for singers, and I decided that I would pursue singing professionally. I'm still planning on doing work in biology, but singing is definitely my passion and I can't imagine doing anything else with my life. 4.I would want to take my Bible with me in my basket. If I couldn't take my laptop or my phone to stay in contact with important people in my life, I would want some item of comfort with me. I think my Bible is really important to me because it's a great source for advice and comfort. It can be helpful in any situation, and I would definitely want it with me on any journey I took.

5 comments:

  1. Welcome to Converse, Grace! I'm so happy your voice teacher sent you our way.

    This post is really interesting to me: I, too, spent a time of my life wanting to go to UT. Specifically, when I was in junior high I wanted to play the giant bass drum in the UT Marching Band. I visited it for the first time for State Solo and Ensemble when I was in the 9th grade, though, and realized that I really didn't want to attend such a gigantic, city-sized campus. I ended up at Baylor, which still seems to me to be not unlike Converse in atmosphere.

    As to your interest in biology, an interesting field for you to maybe consider developing an interest is music-related health. You know--musicians who have a skill in helping other musicians learn to make music in ways that work with their body instead of against it. Dr. Lyle has done some work in this field.

    As to your writing, your style is fine, but think about formatting things into paragraphs in the future. Even more, think about that might be especially important in a blog format.

    And again, welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Roomie!
    There was never really an option for me after high school either. It was just always understood that I would go to college, and for music- although that may change, but still. I always knew I'd be going to college, but Converse was never the higher education I expected to go to either.
    I agree with you about the feeling you got when you came here. I didn't audition anywhere else because I knew this was where I belonged. There was no where else for me. I can also totally relate to the whole being on stage thing- there is nothing like it, and the feeling you get when being on stage, that feeling of euphoria and complete and utter joy, is unmatched by anything else in this world- it's completely addicting. I feel at home on the stage, as I'm sure you do.
    I'm surprised you chose Converse after hearing your story about UT. You're such a big fan, it makes sense you would want to go there, but individualized attention is nice. And you wouldn't have met me if you went there.... kind of depressing to think about...
    Anyway! On a happier note, I'm so glad we get to spend our amazing Converse years together not only as friends and roommates, but as music students too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too applied to converse for fun. I figured it was free and simple so, why not?! It's funny how the school that started off at the very bottom of my list ended up at the very top. I refused to audition anywhere else and, after just one tour, knew this was the school for me. I did decide to tour another college just so I would have somewhere to compare Converse to, since I've never been to college. However, after that one tour, I knew this was the school for me! Men or not!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Grace!
    I really like how you've weaved lots of stories into your blog post. I too have diverse interests and it's nice to see someone who wants to do work in bio and music, two *seemingly unrelated fields.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Grace, we have so much in common based on our blogs! I especially agree with your answer to your last question. I believe my Bible is the one thing i could not survive without either. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete