This first song is called Alleluia, and it is a piece I got to perform with my high school choir. I chose this for several reasons. To start, I think it's beautifully written and I've always loved the sound of it. My high school choir was a large part of my life, and it's one of the things I miss the most about home. We performed this particular recording in the First United Methodist Church in Fort Worth, which is one of my favorite places to perform because the sanctuary is beautiful and I love the acoustics. I love this song because it has a lot of meaning to me because of the text, and because of the context.
The second song is called The Awakening, and it was composed by Joseph Martin. This was my school's school song. I came from a Fine Arts school, and we didn't have any sort of mascot or alma mater or anything. This piece was performed at every single graduation, and throughout the years it began to be considered our school song. The text is about music and the last pages say the words, "Let music never die in me, forever let my spirit sing. Let all our voices join as one to praise the Giver of the song. Let music live!" That text was very fitting for my school, and for me as a person. It is just a piece that means a lot to me for that reason. It also means a lot to me because it reminds me of my school and where I came from. It reminds me to be thankful for the time I had at my high school, because it shape me as a person and as a musician.
This last song is called A State of Texas and it's by the Old 97s. I grew up listening to the Old 97s. They came from Dallas, and they are my favorite band. I love listening to their music; it just feels like home. I like their style because it's what we call "Texas country" due to the fact it sounds a little bit like country music, but it's definitely its own category. I chose this particular song by them because it just seemed like the most fitting piece because I have so much state pride. Also this is one of my favorite songs by this band. It's meaningful to me because this is the band I listen to when I feel particularly homesick. It just makes me feel like I'm about to take a drive through Texas with my family. It's fantastic.
I loved all the songs! I love The Awakening. It's an absolutely gorgeous song- were you in that recording? I was looking for you! And you know how much I love choral music, and I always love hearing new choral pieces. That Alleluia is so beautiful! I love that you added a song about Texas, it's such a vital part of you, it makes perfect sense for that song to be here. I loved it!
ReplyDeleteThese are all wonderful selections, Grace. We did the Thompson Alleluia a few years ago at the Advent--it's so much fun to sing! And, of course, I appreciate the Texas song! Actually, it's interesting to me that you posted it. I didn't really listen to any country music of any stripe until I moved away to go to grad school in Connecticut--then it became a connection back to Home.
ReplyDeleteA tech request, though: It's always better to actually embed video or audio files rather than just links to YouTube and such. Folks are much more likely to click on things if they don't take them away from the page they're reading. You can check in the Help section for instructions--it's really not that hard.
I absolutely love Alleluia! I also really love that you added a song called A State of Texas! You definitely have some Texas pride! I love your blog! :)
ReplyDeleteYour high school played beautiful pieces in the choir. Both "Alleluia" and "The Awakening" have fantastic sounds and interpretation from the performers. I was in the marching band, but I love learning about the music choices of the choir and orchestra. Your state pride is entertaining and refreshing, because not many people have great pride in South Carolina. They like it, but they do not usually go out of their way to advocate for the awesome that is this state. Thank you for your ardent loyalty and for sharing these memory provoking songs. Have a lovely weekend!
ReplyDelete