When I grow up, I would love to be an opera singer. I want to be a part of an opera company and have the ability to be in multiple operas a year. That is my dream job. I would ideally live somewhere on the East Coast. If I could have my way completely, I would get to sing at the Met, so I'd live in New York. Regardless of city, however, I intend to live on the East Coast. I intend to be married at some point, so concerns about finances are a little bit different. Ideally he will have a steadier job than I will so it won't matter as much how much money I make. However, if he has an equally unsteady job, that could pose as an issue at some point. Economically, I would like to be able to live with a similar life style that I have right now. That being said, it would be okay if I don't have quite the same life style, as long as I am able to pay my bills, not go into debt and not have to survive on ramen.
There are several advantages to being an opera singer. First, I would get to do what I'm passionate about. There will come times when it will be difficult, but that will come with any career choice. Second, I love the time commitment of being an opera singer. It's not the average 9-5 job, which I enjoy. Hopefully I won't have to wake up as early, and I'll get to stay up late, which would go better with my internal clock. Third, I would get great travel opportunities if I ever got to sing in Europe, which would be fantastic. I love to travel, and that kind of a life style sounds wonderful.
There are also disadvantages to being an opera singer. First, traveling can get old after a while. If I get married, as I intend to, traveling a lot for work can make that difficult. Second, the pay is not always regular, which can make financial planning very difficult. However, these are small prices to pay for getting to pursue my passion.
Hey Grace! I always love reading your posts, they're so well written. I'm afraid we're all going to have inconsistent income troubles! But I totally agree that it's completely worth the opportunity of living out our dreams. Reach for the stars girl!
ReplyDeleteWhat an awesome future, Grace! I would also like to be able to travel. Maybe you will meet your husband at the Met so that later you can say "we met at the Met"!
ReplyDeleteGrace,
ReplyDeleteI love that you have such big dreams and goals. I honestly believe if you stay focused and make the right connections your talent will take you far! But the one piece advice I would give is that, as a girl I know how it feels to not be able to wait to find the man of our dreams and get married…and we hope that he will be the source of main income…we can't count on that these days! So keep that in mind as you take jobs, internships, and make decisions! We have to be independent and live our lives, then we let someone join us on our journey as our lifelong companion, because we want them to, not because we need them. :) thanks for sharing! very inspirational and informative post.
Sarah
Pretty much just want to agree with everything Sarah Edwards just posted in her comment. :-) Dream big and rely on yourself.
ReplyDelete